On September 16, the Council of Heads of State of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization took place in the city of Samarkand.
According to the Summit’s agenda, the participants discussed the status and prospects of cooperation in the most relevant areas and directions of the SCO cooperation. The Samarkand Declaration of the SCO Heads of State Council is a key final document.
A record number of agreements, concepts, programs and other decisions have been adopted - 44 documents in total. Including the resolutions:
- on the Comprehensive Action Plan for the Implementation of the Provisions of the SCO Treaty on Long-term Good Neighborliness, Friendship and Cooperation for 2023–2027 ;
- on the SCO Concept of Cooperation for the Development of Connectivity and the Creation of Efficient Transport Corridors;
- on the Regulations on the honorary title «SCO Goodwill Ambassador»;
- on the Roadmap for the Gradual Increase in the Share of National Currencies in Mutual Settlements of the SCO Member States;
- on signing a memorandum of obligations on Iran's SCO membership
- on the procedure of Belarus’ accession to the SCO;
- on granting the Republic of Maldives, the Kingdom of Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates, the Republic of the Union of Myanmar, the State of Kuwait as new dialogue partners;
- on declaring the city of Varanasi (India) the tourist and cultural capital of the SCO in 2022-2023;
- on signing a Memorandum between the SCO Secretariat and the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
- on the reports of the SCO Secretary-General on the activities of the Organization over the past year and of the Council of the SCO Regional Anti-Terrorist Structure on its activities in 2021
- on the termination of the Decisions of the SCO Council of Heads of State
- on improving the SCO activities.
The Council of SCO Heads of State also adopted statements on the following aspects:
- on actions to respond to climate change;
- on ensuring reliable, sustainable and diversified supply chains;
- on ensuring global food security;
- on ensuring energy security.
Besides, the following documents were signed as a part of the event:
- a memorandum of obligations on Iran's Shanghai Cooperation Organization membership;
- an agreement between the Governments of the SCO Member States on Cooperation on tourism cooperation;
- the Framework for Cooperation in Service Trade among the SCO Member States;
- a memorandum among the responsible officials of SCO countries on cooperation in the field of museums;
- an agreement among the responsible officials of the SCO countries on cooperation in the field of plant quarantine;
- the Program of Cooperation among the SCO Countries in the Use of Renewable Energy Sources;
- the Program of infrastructural development of the SCO countries;
- the Program for Stimulation of Industrial Cooperation among the SCO Business Circles;
- the SCO Program for Digital Literacy Development;
- the Program of Cooperation of the SCO Member States on the Development of Artificial Intelligence;
- the Action Plan for the cooperation among the medical organizations of the SCO member states in prevention and treatment of infectious diseases;
- the Action Plan for Scientific and Technical Cooperation in the Priority Areas among the SCO Member States (2022-2025);
- The Joint Action Plan for the Development of Intraregional Trade of the SCO;
- the concept of cooperation among the SCO countries in telemedicine;
- the concept of cooperation among the SCO countries in «smart» agriculture and introduction of agricultural innovations;
- a memorandum of understanding between the Secretariats of the SCO and the League of Arab States;
- a memorandum of understanding between the SCO Secretariat and the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO);
- a memorandum of understanding between the SCO Secretariat and the Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) and other documents.